With the holidays coming there are lots of new products available during the holiday season only. Plants and flowers are one of the many holiday traditions. Below is a list of plants that can be hazardous to your dog or cat so be mindful when putting these in your home over the holidays.
While the plant itself is not toxic to your pets the sap (milky white liquid) is. If the sap comes in contact with your dog’s skin it may cause redness and irritation and if it is ingested it can cause diarrhea, vomiting, excessive drooling and licking their mouth.
Is very toxic to dogs and if ingested will cause an upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting. A trip to the vet will definitely be needed.
The leaves, flower, and branches have shown to be toxic to animals causing bloody stool and fatigue.
The toxicity level if large amounts are ingested can range from seizures, disorientation, and death. There are many varieties of mistletoe and the berries attached range in the level of toxins they carry.
A sign of ingestion is drooling, breathing trouble and vomiting. Medical attention is recommended if these symptoms present.
Make sure to have plants on a high platform where dogs are unable to access them and make sure any dropped leaves or flowers are promptly removed. Be sure to check with your vet in any event that you think your dog may have come into contact with any plant that could be hazardous to their health.