Fur Friday: Hazardous Holiday Plants for Pets

The gifting of seasonal plants and flowers are a popular holiday tradition. Here are a list of plants that can be hazardous to your dog or cat to be mindful of this holiday season.
Poinsettia
While the plant itself is not toxic to your pets the sap (milky white liquid) is. If the sap comes in contact with your dog's skin it may cause redness and irritation and if it is ingested it can cause diarrhea, vomiting, excessive drooling and licking their mouth.


Smoke is a collection of airborne solid and liquid particulates and gases emitted when a material undergoes combustion or pyrolysis, together with the quantity of air that is entrained or otherwise mixed into the mass.
It is commonly an unwanted by-product of fires (including stoves, candles, oil lamps, and fireplaces), but may also be used for pest control (fumigation), communication (smoke signals), defensive and offensive capabilities in the military (smoke-screen), cooking, or smoking (tobacco, cannabis, etc.).
Christmas Cactus
The leaves, flower, and branches have shown to be toxic to animals causing bloody stool and fatigue.






Mistletoe
The toxicity level if large amounts are ingested can range from seizures, disorientation, and death. There are many varieties of mistletoe and the berries attached range in the level of toxins they carry.




Amaryllis
A sign of ingestion is drooling, breathing trouble and vomiting. Medical attention is recommended if these symptoms present.

Best Practices:
Make sure to have plants up high where dogs are unable to access them and make sure any dropped leaves or flowers are promptly removed. Be sure to check with your vet in any event that you think your dog may have come into contact with any plant that could be hazardous to their health.
MARCH, 16 / 2018

Photography: Unspalsh
Contact us:
E-mail: info@leashandpaws.com
Phone: (416) 523- 7297
Social networks: Facebook | Instagram

© All Right Reserved. Leash & Paws Inc.
e-mail us: info@leashandpaws.com
Made on
Tilda